November, 25 2022 Published by Huronia Chapter - By Michele Farley
Managers & Boards! If You Have Any 2022 Budget Left Over, This is How to Spend It!
From the CCI Huronia Fall 2022 Condo Buzz Newsletter
All buildings WILL be inspected by the fire department in 2023. Will yours be ready?
A spike in the number of residential fires has put an unprecedented amount of pressure on fire departments to keep us all safe. Fire departments are performing more inspections than ever, while the fine amounts in Ontario have increased. At the same time, most Property Managers and Condo Boards are not getting more
than a day or two of notice prior to their inspection.
This means that there has never been a better time to invest in your building’s fire safety culture, particularly if you have any budget whatsoever left over for 2022. Not sure where to invest it? Here are a few ideas.
A Building Audit/ Assessment BEFORE The Fire Department Arrives
- If you haven’t really looked at your life safety system over the last few years, you will almost certainly have several things that need to be addressed.
- This could include small things like building residents propping doors open, or electrical rooms being too cluttered. Or, it could be larger problems like mechanical/ system issues with your doors or elevators.
- Find them now before they become a fine later.
Train/ Retrain Your Staff
- Your staff are the ones taking care of your regular inspections and maintaining your documentation.
- More importantly, they are the ones that need to know exactly how to act and respond in an emergency situation.
- When was the last time your staff was trained on fire safety, and their roles and responsibilities? And how many employees have come and gone since then?
- Get your staff trained as soon as possible. Teach them how to properly maintain high standards, so they can train the next wave of building employees.
Update Your Fire Safety Plan
- Did you know that your fire safety plan has to be reviewed annually? It also has to be amended to include any changes in the building that impact that fire safety plan.
- Keeping this as up-to-date as possible will help keep your building as safe and compliant as possible.
How Do I Make This Happen Before 2023?
- If you’re worried that you simply don’t have time to call a fire consultant, schedule an assessment, or arrange on-site visits before December 31st, don’t worry. You don’t have to.
- We can issue a purchase order in 2022, and arrange to do the actual work in 2023 at a time that works for you.
- That being said, don’t leave it TOO long. It’s important to remember that we can’t simply show up on Monday, and your building will be 100% up to code by Tuesday. Some of the changes you may need to make can take time.
- If you can’t start right now, make it your biggest priority for the new year.
- Set yourself up for an amazing 2023! If you’re not sure how, we are here to help!
FCS Fire Consulting Services Ltd.
DISCLAIMER, USE INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK
This is solely a curation of materials. Not all of this information is created, provided or vetted by CCI. Some of the information is only applicable to certain provinces. CCI does not make any warranties about the reliability or accuracy of any information found in the materials on this website. The information is not updated to reflect changes in legislation or case law and therefore may not always be current and up-to-date. We suggest you seek professional advice with respect to your specific issues or regarding any questions that arise out of the material. We will not be liable for any losses or damages in connection with the use of any of the material found on the website.