From the Fall 2016 issue of the CCI Toronto Condovoice Magazine.
Share Your AGM Experience:
What advice would you give to someone who is preparing to attend their very first Annual General Meeting?
Advice for Directors
1) Keep it simple! Have your auditor explain your financial position. Have your barrister or management company chair the meeting. Write an AGM script and give it to people who will speak to the owners. - Steven V.
2) Listen and try to relate to what you hear. - Marc B.
3) Be prepared to expect many different opinions. - Gavin D.
4) a) Come prepared b) Be forthright, don't BS, admit if you don't know c) If you promise action, follow up. Give timing - Sandy D.
5) You cannot please everyone so don't try to or you risk coming off as disingenuous - Anonymous
Advice for Owners
1) Expect the worst, hope for the best! - Anonymous
2) Take advantage of your opportunity to ask questions but appreciate that others may wish to as well. Don't hog the floor! - Gerald D.
3) Come prepared to listen (no cell phones/chatter with neighbours)
a) Don't be shy – Ask questions
b) Ensure you understand the answers
c) If actions are promised, get a clear answer on timing and how information will be disseminated - Sandy D.
4) Think before you speak - John V.
5) Don't be surprised if your neighbours revert to schoolyard behaviour! - Anonymous
DISCLAIMER, USE INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK
This is solely a curation of materials. Not all of this information is created, provided or vetted by CCI. Some of the information is only applicable to certain provinces. CCI does not make any warranties about the reliability or accuracy of any information found in the materials on this website. The information is not updated to reflect changes in legislation or case law and therefore may not always be current and up-to-date. We suggest you seek professional advice with respect to your specific issues or regarding any questions that arise out of the material. We will not be liable for any losses or damages in connection with the use of any of the material found on the website.